Lovely snippet from Chippenham Museum
The row of shops adjacent to St Andrew’s Church is called London Buildings. An 18c façade hides a Tudor box-frame building. Strakers now occupy number 33/34, but in 1613 was occupied by the Lyon Inn, run by Francis Barnes.
In 1666 according to local legend, John Woodman of Kellaways hatched a plot in the Lyon Inn to set fire to London. He boasted that he would light enough bonfires to make “..as sad a London as ever it was since the world began”. A warrant was issued for his arrest after the great Fire of London but he was never caught. A blue plaque celebrates this fanciful story.
Our Strakers office in Chippenham is set to get a makeover this year so it's lovely to look back at the history of the building.