Tenant Fees and Procedures
Once you have viewed and selected a property you would like to rent, Strakers ask you to adhere to the following procedure:
What to do next:
- Contact the Strakers office that has arranged the viewing for you straight away, and tell them you would like to proceed with the rental of the property you have viewed.
- You will be asked to pay a Holding Deposit, equal to 1 week’s rent of that property, either by cash, card payment, or bank transfer. The holding deposit will reserve the property for you for 14 days whilst the reference checks are being done. This forms a “deadline for agreement” whereupon a tenancy start date should be mutually agreed with yourself and the landlord, subject to referencing. The holding deposit is refundable unless you provide misleading or inaccurate information on your application, you fail a right to rent check, you withdraw from the rental of the property or you fail to take reasonable steps to enter into the tenancy agreement. This process is in accordance with the Tenant Fees Act 2019.
- At the same time, complete an Application Form for each adult over the age of 18 who will be living in the property and return them to the office, by hand or by scanning and e-mailing.
- Please provide identification for each applicant, in the form of either a Passport, or a Birth Certificate AND Driver’s Licence.
- The Application Forms will be sent to HomeLet Referencing Agency. HomeLet will check for adverse credit history, undisclosed addresses, electoral roll check, bank validation, CIFAS fraud, financial sanctions, employment reference check and seek a landlord reference if you are currently renting.
- Under some circumstances, a Guarantor may be required, who must be referenced and agreed by the landlord.
- As soon as references have been passed, you will be contacted by Strakers and a start date of tenancy can be agreed.
- Any application is subject to referencing and right to rent checks, and any let agreed subject to contract.
- All leases are for a minimum term of 6 months under an Assured Shorthold Tenancy agreement, as defined under the 1988 Housing Act, unless otherwise stated.
- Rent is payable monthly in advance, unless 6 or 12 month’s rent has been agreed and paid in advance. All rentals are exclusive of utility charges and council tax, unless otherwise stated.
- A deposit of 5 weeks’ rent is payable and held throughout the tenancy with TDS, unless the Landlord uses an alternative Government approved scheme of which you will be fully informed.
- Smoking is not allowed in any properties, and pets will only be permitted with prior agreement by the landlord.
Strakers Membership and Redress Scheme
Strakers are members of ARLA (membership number 1057) and The Property Ombudsman Scheme (certification number N00458) and deposits are held with the Tenant’s Deposit Scheme, unless held with the Landlord’s CMP scheme.
Strakers give notice that these particulars, whilst believed to be accurate, are set out as a general outline for guidance only, and do not constitute any part of an offer or contract. Please sign to confirm you have read and understood these particulars: